Swelling on thighs, hematoma on both hands, tests showed high ptt, ttp due to side effects of Acitrom. Suggestion?

Dear Drs, My brother underwent mitral value replacement surgery in 1992.he was on ACITROM- 2Mg. Unfortunately; he could not continue ACITROM- 2Mg. medication prescribed by the surgeon. He consulted a cardiologist lately and he prescribed ACITROM- 5mg weekly 2 days, rest of the days he is asked to take 2mg. Now he is admitted with swelling on thighs and hematoma on both hands. Lab tests revealed ptt-50.ttp-150. The doctor is of the opinion that the same is due to drug side effects. I have couple of queries regarding this matter, 1. Is this due to drug side effect as the doctor said. 2. Can this be managed conservatively ? 3. How long will it take to be in normal condition? 4. Any other precautions to be taken in future? 5. Any other specialist consultation (ORTHO) required? Kindly reply. Looking forward to your expert advice regarding this case. Thanks and regards, VENUGOPAL.
Asked On : Sat, 13 Oct 2012