Swelling in the vaginal lips due to Bartholin abscess. Surgery needed?

Hey I had a bartholin abscess. It was inside before Doc said its bartholin abscess. She prescribe me antibiotics after taking that it came up near my vigina lip got swollen, red, painfull.went back to diff doc she said its just a abscess dont need a operation. She prescribed me diff antibiotics and in 5days that abscess wasn't ther. But its been 15days yet and bartholin abscess back again. Its inside like a ball u can move.not too big but cant have sex it really hurts when I have sex. I dont want to do operation. Is there something I can do about it. Im only 23yr old and im fedup of it. Dont want to do operation bcoz thers no guarente if it wil never come back so whats the point getting cut over and over again. Is ther any specialist for this? Please do advise me thanku
Asked On : Sat, 6 Apr 2013

Thank you for the query.

Every abscess should be cut and drained. It always have potential risk of serious complications with SEPSIS. Giving antibiotics without draining the pus is a big mistake. It is because abscess contains dead parts of immune system cells, dead parts of bacteria and alive bacteria. And antibiotics does not penetrate to the pus (no blood circulation inside). So giving them is pointless.
Your abscess has gotten better most likely by itself. And no role of antibiotics in the healing process. However as you can see it recurs.
That is why I suggest you to visit gyneacologist or general surgeon, have a small incision and pus drained. It will allow to clean it from bacteria and gives a chance that it wont come back.

Hope this will help.