Surgery for severe spinal stenosis suggested. Pain in the leg due to disc bulge. Can the surgery be done with minimal invasion?

I am told that I need to undergo surgery for severe spinal stenosis. I failed to ask the surgeon why the surgery will not be performed as a minimally invasive procedure. I do know that I will not have to have any "hardware" placed in my spine. Basically, the surgery is being performed to relieve the pain in my left leg. I have bulging discs at L3, 4, 5 and S1. Basically, if no hardware is needed, can the procedure which I am about to undergo be performed minimally invasive or does it have to be performed with an open incision?
Asked On : Sat, 20 Apr 2013