Suggested triple bypass due to severe arthrosclerosis, has severely decreased lung function due to smoking addiction. What is the outlook?

My father is not a candidate for stents because of too much arthrosclerosis. They have decided his only chance is for a triple bypass surgery. He only has 15 percent lung function because he was a long time heavy smoker for the majority of his life. He uses his inhalers like candy and takes a puff every other hour or so. He is 73 years old and I am concerned that he may end up on a vent and never get off. I feel like the doctors are not giving him the true picture. What is the outlook like for someone with severely decreased lung function for a triple bypass?
Asked On : Mon, 24 Sep 2012