Suffering from hypertension. Echo shows hypertrophy in left ventricle, diastolic dysfunction. Prescribed medicines. Solution?

Hello, I am 23 years old, I have been suffering from hypertention since the last 6 years, with no reason.. CT scan for kidneys and blood tests all showed no problems.. My doctor prescribed me CoApprovel 150/ and Nebilit 5mg.. My condition improved but 3 years later I startd feeling severe headaches and my blood pressure was really going high and nothing seemed to be under control.. Now I made a new echo for the heart and it showed hypertrophy in the left ventrical and class 1 diastolyic dysfunction.. My doctor prescribed Amlor 5mg and CoApprovel 300/12.5.. What shall I do ? I am really worried and I don t feel relaxed..suffering from sudden tachycardia .. Please help me
Asked On : Tue, 26 Mar 2013

Left ventricular hypertrophy and grade 1 diastolic dysfunction on echo is due to your uncontrolled hypertension.
You need not worry about grade 1 diastolic dysfunction ,it is not a major problem.

At present you are taking
Tab.CoAprovel 300/12.5 mg tablet contains 300 mg irbesartan and 12.5 mg hydrochlorothiazide and tab.Amlor 5mg.You have been already started on three antihypertensive drugs.

Now, what you need is strict monitoring of blood pressure and to maintain blood pressure below 130/80 mm of Hg.
Hypertension is rare below age of 40 years and you are of age 23 hence you should evaluated for young hypertension.Young hypertension has many causes including renal artery stenosis,fibromuscular dysplasia,coarctation of aorta,aortic dissection,pheochromocytoma,chronic kidney disease etc.

Hence get physician opinion for clinical correlation and further investigation for cause of hypertension and management.

Hope this could help you.

wish you good health.

Cardiologist Dr. Hemant Kumar's  Response
you should consult with endocrinologist / cardiologist - to rule out COA/ increase aldosterone/ pheochomocytoma/ renal artery stenosis and other various cause
hypertrophy of left ventricle is due to chronic hypertension, it can be regressed if your BP remain subnormal continously
you feel sudden tachycardia with HTN - do 24 hour urine VMA test to rule out pheochromocytoma

medicine will be changed after knowing cause of hypertension