Suffering from hip, lower Back and Testicle pain at the age of 46 years. If smoking could narrow any possibilities ?

Hello, My father is a 46 year old male which of whom has been experiencing a terrible pain on his left side covering the areas of the hip, lower back, small portion of the abdomen and and left testicle. All areas are swollen and his hip feels very hard and somewhat inflammed compared to the other side. He is an active individual in the normal weight range. What could be causing this EXTREME pain??? He does in fact consume alcohol on a consistant bases and is a smoker if this could narrow any possibilities. Thank you.
Asked On : Thu, 7 Jul 2011