Suffering from high fever, sore throat and gums in front teeth swollen. Is throat infection contagious?

my son was kissing his girlfriend who had a sinus infection , she is now on medication. My son has been to the dr. for high fever, sore throat , severe headache and nausea they did a throat culture said he was fine but gave him script for the nausea, now the gum in between his front teeth is swollen and so is his uvula and his throat hurts and he has ringing in his ears could he have gotten an infection from her?
Asked On : Thu, 28 Feb 2013