Suffering from foot cramps, get sudden spasm. Any permanent cure?

I’ve had issues with my feet my entire life. As a child I was told what was happening was foot cramps . Now I am older, I’m not sure that is what’s happening. When I have an “attack” I can start to feel it coming on slightly. My toes, except for my middle toe, will turn very dark purple as though they are cold or not getting proper circulation. It will seem difficult to bend my toes and they may feel slightly numb. Then suddenly, almost like a spasm , my toes will refuse to bend downward, my big toe will become stuck straight out, at an angle trying to tuck under my other toes. When this happens it is outrageously painful. I have always had a fairly high tolerance for pain and this will have me sobbing and begging my body for it to stop. I will be unable to pick my foot off of the ground without making it far worse. I never know how long it will last. I’ve found the best way to make it stop is by being sure to breathe as steadily as I can (this also helps to get through the pain) and to attempt to massage my legs, my ankle and the tops of my feet and then I try to wait for it to subside. To prevent this when I feel it coming on I’ve found flexing my toes and being sure to keep my feet in very warm socks and supportive shoes to be the only help. While the actual “attacks” do not happen very often, I’m forced to wear very warm socks constantly and am always nervous about this happening as it hurts so very badly. If I even begin to feel this while driving I am forced to pull over to prevent an accident if an “attack” were to happen. I’m not sure if this is a foot cramp or not but I can certainly tell you I’m sick of it and would love to find a better way to manage this. Please help.
Asked On : Sun, 3 Mar 2013