Suffering from crumbling spine, severe pain doubled on Morphine patches. Relief from pain?

My father has a crumbling spine he s had two operations and no further treatment can be given as they has removed as much as they can and have gone as deep as possible with out causing risks to my father. He is in soo much pain and has doubled up on morphine patches it s heart breaking watching him loose weight and become frail because of loss of appetite . Is there anything else he can try to give him pain relief without causing weight loss?
Asked On : Mon, 14 Jan 2013