Suffering from a disease which causes increase in WBCs and decrease in the RBC levels. Name?

I have a close friend in Germany, he just turned 60, and about 2 years ago he was diagnosed with some sort of blood disease, I cannot remember the name, but it is causing his white cells to increase and red cells to decrease so they are both falling outside the normal limits. They have told him to come in once a year and get checked. And it sounds like there is not really any good treatment available. I would like to know the name of this condition so I can research it, and also any info about prognosis . Thanks in advance, Diana O.
Asked On : Sat, 16 Feb 2013