Suffering from Depression, absolutely normal after treatment. Is depression Hereditary?

my sister in law was suffering from some depression for last four years. she used to break her bangles and tending to scratch her self with broken piece of bangle, bite the people who used to catch hold of her, her looks were almost ghostly etc. initially though the problem was serious now she is absolutely normal after treatment. i think she was affected by that due to her family problem. does her daughter has any chances of inheriting the same from her mother as the girl is to be married now and the same question is raised by the other party now. pls help.
Asked On : Fri, 22 Feb 2013