Suffer from hypothyroidism. Is the synthroid medication animal based?

I have had Hypothyroidism since I was 27. I am now 52. In all of those years, the pill that I have taken was tiny, white and round. Now I am being given an oval grey pill from the pharmacy and being told that they are the same. I know that some Synthroid generics are animal based and some are not. I also know that animal based replacements affect some women differently. I do I tell that this is an okay switch after all of this time? Why does this pill list the name as levothyroxine sodium? I have never been told or prescribed a sodium pill.
Asked On : Thu, 4 Apr 2013