Sudden heavy heart beating. What could be reason?

i have just been to visit my parents and had a nice relaxing time with them, after that i drove home with my two children in the car . When i got home i got out of the car and for no reason my heart started beating very hard and very fast for no reason, it made me feel faint and now its stoped and went back to normal, but its made me feel really sick and lightheaded now, what could this be?
Asked On : Thu, 28 Feb 2013
Thanks for coming to HCM. Occasional racing heart under normal stress-free environment after meals can be due to caffeine consumption, change in blood level of certain electrolytes, thyroid problem, or some heart rate/rhythm problem. If the heart beats fast for some time, blood pressure drops due to decreased cardiac output and the person feels light-headed with fainting and/or numbness & tingling in fingers. You can lie down and relax for some time & observe if you feel better. If you get this type of episodes repeatedly, ensure safety measures that you don't fall and consult your local doctor.
Hope you feel better soon.
General & Family Physician Dr. Nsah Bernard's  Response
Dec 2012

Thanks for posting on HCM,
What you experienced is a symptom that is medically termed palpitation which could be caused by an underlying diseases/ heart diseases or could just be as a result of anxiety or panic or physiologic with no apparent cause. Heart palpitations can be symptoms of illnesses such as coronary heart disease, valvula heart diseases asthma, or emphysema etc.
But to me, I do not think after having just an episode of that, you should be too worried about it. Yes it is true that your heart abnormally functioned when you were driving, but i do not think you need to be alarmed as it happens to most people from time to time. In case of any recurrence. Please consult with a cardiologist for further review.

Thank you and best wishes.
Dr Nsah

General Surgeon Dr. Grzegorz Stanko's  Response

Thank you for the query.

The reason of such symptoms is most likely heart arrhythmia. If there were any pain in the chest, arm or jaw, heart attack is also possible. Lost of consciousness is a symptom which should force you to visit cardiologist. You should have heart ECG, 24 hours Holters ECG, stress test and heart ultrasound performed. Blood work, ions level should be also checked. In a meanwhile you should start Magnesium 400mg supplementation.

Hope this will help.