Sudden appearance of red blotches on left upper arm. What could be the cause?

I have had these red blotches on my left upper arm for over 2 years now. They appeared suddenly one day and I think I caught something in my gym. However, 8 years ago I had sort of the same thing, but the blotches were also on the sides of my torso, scattered. At that time, my doctor ran blood test and prescribed me a steroid cream and some pills. It took a while, but the blotches suddenly vanished. Do you have any idea what causes this? Could a fungus last 2 years?
Asked On : Wed, 28 Nov 2012
Sudden appearance of blotches can be acute urticaria.usually fungus will not be present for 2 years.use a antihistamine.terbinafine tablet and ointment