Stiff and sore hands and feet in the mornings. Have stiffening of lower vertebrae due to age. Are these related?

I have been waking every morning with stiff and sore hands and feet . It goes away once i start moving about but returns when I sit for long periods of time. It has been going on for some time now but doesn t,t seem to be getting any worse or better. I am 49 but not overweight and exercise regularly with tennis and an exercise bike. I also have a back problem which I was told was stiffening of the lower vertebrae due to my age. This gives me a slightly achy and stiff back when I sit still for long and in bed it wakens me early or when I turn over. The two problems may or may not be related. Should I be worried?
Asked On : Sat, 7 Jul 2012
Pain and stiffness in the joints of the hand and feet in morning is a symptom that we see commonly in patients with inflammatory arthritis. You should see you Dr and have some blood work done as well as X-rays of your hands, feet and lower back.