Stepped on rusty nail, punctured skin, painful. Can i get infected?

Hi I stepped on a rusty nail today I had shoes on ,but it went through & punctured my skin, at first it was painful, but I went straight off to work & was rather anxious to look at it until my husband came home I showed him & it looks little infected (red with a brown circle) on heel of foot. As the day went on I have been finding it more uncomfortable to walk on it although if sitting no pain at all? I had tetanus approx 3-4 yrs ago be grateful for any help thank you
Asked On : Sun, 14 Apr 2013