Started taking Synthroid and gained weight. Is this a fair side effects?

Hi Dr. Grief! I started taking Synthroid 6 months ago and have gained 6 pounds that I haven t carried around since I was 13. My preliminary research has indicated that this is a fairly common side effect. I had no bad symptoms before my doctor prescribed the Synthroid (that I was aware of) and would now like to stop taking it because of the uncomfortable side effects (others include horrible bloated feeling). How dangerous would it be to stop taking it? I would ask my own doctor, but I was researching the issue on this website when I needed to register. Upon registering, I began to re-enter my Synthroid question, but was immediately sent to you. As long as I am here, I am asking you. Thanks.
Asked On : Sat, 11 Aug 2012