Started ginet-84, got periods with extreme cramps, clots of blood. Could it be a side effect?

I have just started taking Ginet-84 (having almost finished the first packet, in the red area) and my period started and on day two I had extreme cramps and then passed about 3 clots of blood during the day. Ive never had problems with clots like this before and wondered if it was perhaps a side-effect. I am taking this pill to stop my periods as was getting fed up with them (Im 50 and still no menopause ), wondering perhaps I should have just had the injection instead but was told this caused weight gain but have found this does also.
Asked On : Sun, 13 Jan 2013