Spots on side of beard where no hair is growing. Is it alopecia. Can it be treated?

Hi, I noticed a small spot on the side of his beard a year ago where no hair grew. Gradually the spot got bigger and more spots appeared. Now he has a huge patch-atleast 1x3 inches-where there is no hair growing. It is terrible because its really obvious and we dont know if it will get better or worse. We are pessimistic because its just been getting worse...but atleast it has stuck to the beard. Shaving doesnt help much either since he has thick hair and its still obvious. Has anyone experience alopecia of the beard and has it improved? im worried about this.. pls help
Asked On : Mon, 18 Mar 2013