Sore throat, trouble swallowing, tenderness, strep throat. On amoxicillin. What happened?

Had a sore throat that got steadily worse over 4 days, from a dry feeling to trouble swallowing + tenderness on one side. Went to a clinic on day 5. Doctor took one look, said it was strep-throat, and prescribed Amoxicillin , 500mg, 3 times daily, 10 day. He took a throat swab, too. When asked if he could confirm it was bacterial just by looking, he responded definitely. Rapid improvement seen within 48 hours of taking Amoxicillin. 10 days later, feeling almost perfect (just a slightly dry throat during the night). 24 hours after finishing the antibiotics , though, and the symptoms have returned to what they were the day before I went to the clinic the first time. I saw another doctor at the same clinic today, and he said my throat didn t look that bad, and that the infection was almost certainly viral - nothing can be done besides wait it out. He also says the previous swab was negative, so it wasn t strep after all, but still took another swab and promised to call me if it was strep. This is confusing, I am asking for a second opinion.
Asked On : Sat, 23 Mar 2013