Sore throat, discomfort while swallowing, coughing, can see epiglottis. Possible reason?

Hi. I m a 22 year old non smoking female who has asthma . I m at a normal height and weight range. I haven t used my puffer recently. A friend of mine who I spent some time with 2 weeks ago had a cold of some kind, with fever and stuffy nose, and I thought I was in the clear since I wasn t sick last week. 2 nights ago, I noticed I was developing a somewhat sore throat. Yesterday, my symptoms worsened, and today, I find that I m quite raw. No other symptoms are present. I do not have a stuffy nose or a fever. I do have mild discomfort while swallowing and some slight coughing. I do not have body pains. I have had post-nasal drip due to sinusitis about 2 years ago, and I ve also had strep throat about 8-9 months ago. I tried saying ah to look at the back of my own throat to check for exudates or petechiae, (both of which were present the last time I had strep) and in doing so, was able to see my epiglottis . Is that normal? (it is not my uvula - it is my epiglottis - rises like a cobra from the back/inferior portion of my throat when I say ah) My tonsils seem clear but I can t be sure. Do I need to see a GP? what could be the reason for the sore throat or the epiglottis rising? Thanks!
Asked On : Thu, 7 Mar 2013