Sore patch on the tongue after having a trauma to the molar. Root canal suggested. Advice?

Since a trauma to my molar last autumn, I have a monthly or 3 weekly sore patch on my tongue, same or similar place - not always quite an ulcer, more an inflamed papillae... I have a temporary filling fitted but since my trauma a gap has been created too and the edge of the filling is a little sharp. I must admit, I do feel around in my mouth constantly and often get food trapped in the gap causing the tooth to get inflamed.

My question is, are any of these things enough to cause pain, soreness or ulcers in the same region/side of the tongue? I am due to have a root canal and am hoping this will solve the problem. Is there anything else I can do in the meantime to ease this?

Many thanks in advance for any help
Asked On : Sun, 21 Apr 2013