Small lump growing on left wrist. Taking aleve to ease discomfort. Treatment?

Good afternoon Doctors. I am curious about a lump growing in my left wrist for about a month. I thought I had just injured it during a workout session a few months ago and ised and it and left it alone. The end of June beginning of July, I noticed a bump coming up and felt some discomfort. Took Aleve and the discomfort went away. In watching it for the last few weeks I have noticed myself rubbing the spot to ease the ache that has come with tis now protruding lump from my wrist. Not noticeable to anyone else but I can feel and see the difference. I have been told it is a part of getting old! lol I am concerned. Eagerly waiting for your feedbacks!!!! Thank you much for your time!
Asked On : Sat, 28 Jul 2012
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Thanks for writing
The lump most likely is Ganglion. It is basically an out pouching of joint lining or originated from synovial sheath of tendons.
It is mostly painless. Once it becomes painful and not amenable to pain killer and for cosmetic reason surgical excision is the treatment with 1% recurrence rate.
Hope this information suffices.
Virtual clinic