Skin peeling from knees, elbows. What could be the reason?

Hi my name is Angela. A couple days ago I was on my wood floor playing with my dog. When I went to bed I felt my knees cause they were hurting and I noticed I had skin peeling off. Thinking I may have just skidden on floor and pulled it off I ignored it. Well now being two days later I habe skun peeling off my elbows and I know for a favt I didnt do this to somehow make it peel off. Any ideas to help me out what this could possibly be from. Thank You!
Asked On : Wed, 29 Aug 2012
Hi , Angela.

Nothing serious.

It is keratolysis exfoliativa...superficial peeling of skin.

Exact cause is not known.

It might be due to temperature difference ,vitamin deficiencies,soap water, solvent,detergent ..etc

Protection from irritants is needed to prevent relapse.

Emmolient containing urea may improve the condition.

It is totally mild condition and can recover in few weeks.

I hope you got my answer.

Dr. Ilyas Patel MD