Skin on toe dry, dark, numb on touching and painful. What is causing this?

A couple of years ago, the skin on top of my smallest left toe was very dry, when I touched the area it felt slightly numb. Over time, the skin on top of the toe began to darken and be extra painful if something bumped it. I have seen a few doctors, with no conclusion(some think I just hit it hard and caused some nerve damage). As of late, the dark area has spread a little- its starting to make its way up the top of my foot under the skin. Occasionally, I have began to notice that it is beginning to be painful when putting my foot down after getting out of my truck or stepping out of bed, but then the pain goes away. I am a very healthy, 40 year old male, bike on a regular basis, normal weight, not diabetic, do not smoke or consume alcohol. Any advice would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Asked On : Tue, 18 Dec 2012