Sharp pains, sudden numbness, pricking sensation in different parts of the body. Reason?

Recently I have had some sharp pains in my body in different areas, particularly my legs and my hands. About 1 week ago, around 3 a.m. I woke up suddenly because there was a sharp pain going up my mid to outter left thigh shooting upwards. It felt like a hot rod was being shoved up my thigh - it felt like forever, but was probably more like 60 secs, but left me leg slightly weak. It was excruciating to say the least. Since then, I have had shorter sharp pains, some burning, some just like a quick poke with something sharp in different legs. A few days ago, my right index finger started to feel weak, achy, and since then I ve been feeling quick sharp pain in the rest of my right hand and a bit in my left fingertips. Sometimes they feel like they have pins and needles in them. I have had the sharp pains in my legs infrequently over the past 2-3 years, but they seem to be getting more frequent and more intense. My left leg specifically seems to go to sleep for no reason if I m standing, sitting. I haven t had a check up in several years. I am overweight , and have thought maybe this has something to do with it. I had an insurance check up about 1 year ago, and everything was fine then. What s going on with me?
Asked On : Fri, 1 Feb 2013