Sharp pain in lower pelvic area and nauseas. Had a heavy brown bleeding, after stopped taking birth controls. Is it normal?

Hello. My husband had a vasectomy 10 years ago and I have been on birth control since, not for fear of pregnancy but because my periods would always start on time but last anywhere from 7-14 days. We never did a sperm count after the vasectomy and have had no reason to worry about an unwanted pregnancy. However, I stopped my birth control last month. I should have started my period 2 weeks ago but haven t. I had one very heavy brown bleeding when I used the rest room 2 days ago but have had no bleeding since that one instance. I am nauseated, having ocasional sharp pains in my lower left pelvic area. My fear is the slight possibility of being pregnant and having a possible ectopic ( my second pregnancy was ectopic). Any validity to my fears or is this normal after stopping birth control?
Asked On : Thu, 21 Feb 2013