Severe sore throat, swollen glands, shortness of breath, dry cough , head ache, conjunctivitis and tiredness. Treatment?

Hi, me and my friend returned from a holiday in XXX on the 6th of June. We shared a room together and on the 4th day I came down with a sore throat and a feeling of unusual tiredness. These symptoms got worse and today 18 June I am off sick from work. My friend came down with the same thing straight after returning from holiday. Full symptoms are: severe sore throat, swollen glands, shortness of breath, dry cough , head ache, conjunctivitis and tiredness. I have been to see a nurse at the doctors surgery and explained this is a virus and can last upto 6 weeks. Both myself and my friend have been taking all the recommended medicines, such as dissoluble paracetamol , mouth washes etc and still no signs of getting better. I have asked my doctor for a blood test to determine whether we have caught something from the air conditioning unit in our hotel room which was not working properly but he is reluctant and believes its a virus that will go in time. Please could you give your professional opinion on what these symptoms could be telling us? Many thanks
Asked On : Thu, 21 Jun 2012