Severe shooting pains after having mirena insertion. Is this normal?

Hi Dr Lundi, I am a 22 year old female and recently had the Mirena IUD inserted (3 weeks ago). I have not had a child before and the insertion was very painful. I had consistent cramping for about a week and on and off ever since. Recently though, I have started getting severe shooting pains. Some start in the abdomen and shoot all the way down my cervix and walls. I checked two weeks ago for the strings, which were intact. Should I see a doctor? Thanks so much. Molly
Asked On : Wed, 5 Dec 2012