Severe mid back pain, pain below ribs, asthma, shortness of breath. Treatment?

Dear Dr., My wife had been complaining of occasional sudden severe mid- back pain . She also has frequent pain on the left lower rib below chest when slightly pressed. These symptoms had been there for the last 5-6 months. She had a prior history of asthma and has occasional problems of short of breath and minor cough attacks for short periods. I am totally clueless on the possible causes and medical action can anybody guide me?
Asked On : Sun, 29 Apr 2012