Severe lower back pain radiating to the legs. MRI showing lateral disc herniation and mild arthritic change in the facet joints. Remedy for pain?

I have severe low back pain from sharp stabbing pain & pain that runs down my right leg to burning pain in the low back area. My MRI Impression Is: L4-L5 small right lateral herniation, which is in apposition to and causing some slight lateral displacement of the right fourth nerve root in the mid and distal foramen. Centrally, no asymmetric mass effect on the thecal sac . Mild arthritic change in the facet joints. Small left lateral annular fissures at the L3-L4 and L2-L3 levels, only in near apposition to the left second and third nerve roots. Can you help me understand what this MRI means and what are some of my options to relieve the pain. Thank you
Asked On : Fri, 7 Sep 2012