Severe cough, phlegm and mucus in throat, bleeding while coughing. Medical attention required?

Hello, I ve been sick and had excessive phlegm and mucus for the past week and 2 days. The cough and phlegm is subsiding but when I do cough excessively the past couple of days, I ve noticed that I ve been coughing up blood . Is this normal from excessive coughing? I m talking about a lot of coughing. The blood has subsided as I cough less, but when I get a big hack, it does happen. Do I just need to heal or is this cause for concern and should I seek medical treatment?
Asked On : Thu, 17 Jan 2013