Severe cough. Using ventolin, steroid spray, getting worse. Chest X-ray normal. GERD symptoms?

I had a really bed cough about 2 weeks ago that my doctor thought was a chest infection which he gave me antibiotics for. Didn t improve so went back and he checked my chest again and said it was clear. Gave me ventolin and a steroid spray to help clear it. Been using for about 5 days and after day 2 started getting a choking feeling in my throat. Woke up last two nights with a feeling my throat was completely closed and found it very hard to get a breath. Spoke to him over phone this evening and he thinks it sounds like acid reflux . Could the sprays be causing it because it is worse straight after using them and how long will the acid reflux take to ease as it is very bad this evening.
Asked On : Mon, 23 Jul 2012