Severe constipation, bloating discomfort in the stomach. Could it be due to excessive fiber intake?

Hi, I have been quite constipated for a couple of weeks now. I took some laxatives but they did not work, so yesterday I ate lots of figs, dates and fruit and fibre cerial, and today I have been. However over the past 2 weeks I have had some, bloatedness pain and discomfort on my left side (almost under my rib cage) and today although I have been to the toilet - it is actually worse and has stayed with me all day. Could there be anything else causing this pain, or could it be perhaps that I consumed too much fibre ? I am due to travel abroad on saturday, so am wondering if I should get this checked out before I go. Thanks
Asked On : Sun, 27 Jan 2013