Severe back pain, scan showed vertebrate out of place. Possible reason. How to correct it?

My younger (13 year old, Diabetic) brother had a CAT scan earlier today due to sever back pain and non-movement ability. He was first struck with what thought was the flu which he had fevers, and flu like symptoms. So he had a MRI and a CAT scan which said he had two vertebrae out of place in his neck . We brought him to a surgeon who said he ll need to use a needle and extract fluid to see if it is an infection or some other type of growth which placed his vertebrae out of place. I ve been doing research all day and found rare cases of Vertebral osteomyelitis. What is the most possible/ best outcome or reason for his vertebrae out of place? I m at college worrying trying to help. Any answers would be so thankful.
Asked On : Sun, 23 Dec 2012