Scheduled for surgery for removal in colon area, using bag to urinate. What is involved?

My sister has had previous health problems which culminated in her having a bag to urinate in. Next week she goes into hospital to have a very major operation, which I believe involves a 5 hour operation which will leave her having to use another bag as well. In short...I think she is having a lot taken away from her colon area Can you please advise me what s involved..I m so very worried.
Asked On : Tue, 14 Aug 2012
Urologist 's  Response
It looks like your sister might be having a functionally small bladder capacity which has caused her to wear a bag to remain dry through day and night. This is not a practical long term solution, and sometimes we have to increase the capacity of bladder. This is a major surgery, but usually most patients do well after the procedure.