Right middle finger became stiff, swollen, purple, got better after applying heat and steroids. Can t bend it still. What is it ?

yesterday afternoon after walking the dog, washed my hands, began to take glasses from dishwasher, my right middle finger became stiff, swollen, purple,and I could not bend it. I went to a night time clinic and the doctor though it had to do with the tendon sheet and perhaps I hurt my finger with the dog leash. They gave me steroids and to put heat on it. Today it seem better, but an hour ago I noticed that the bruised area got bigger, most of the back of the finger and around towards the front. It seems also more swollen than this morning and I can't bend it again. What is it and what should I do?
Asked On : Mon, 8 Apr 2013