Retarded toe nail growth, swelling around the cuticle. Had treatment for ingrown toenail. What can be done?

Hi for about 5 months my big toe nail had stopped growing and swelling was present around the cuticle . I went to a specialist who told me it was ingrown and cut the nail way down because the nail plate had detached from the skin. So now about 2 months later my nail started growing up again which is great however last night I noticed right at the cuticle no more nail Was coming through , there is a gap, I am quite worried now I will loose my toenail., can you tell me what this could be??
Asked On : Fri, 27 Jul 2012