Red throat, swollen red tonsils, pain, tender lymph glands. What is the cure?

I took my daughter to the walk in clinic because I thought she had strep throat . Her symptoms were very red throat, swollen red tonsils and, pain when swallowing and tender lymph glands. The doctor prescribed amoxicillin without doing a culture and she has been taking that for a few days, but the next day after the doctor visit, she started to have cold symptoms of runny nose, nasal congestion , mucous and coughing. This sounds like she has a cold. Is it possible that she has a cold on top of the strep throat, or do you think she just had a cold to begin with and no strep throat? Should I keep her on the antibiotics even though she is starting to have diarrhea a bit? I am worried about her gut flora, but also worried if I take her off the antibiotic she will have a relapse and need stronger antibiotics with worse effects. Thank you for your help.
Asked On : Sun, 3 Mar 2013