Red swollen lumps on tummy, painful, itchy, cold sores. Ruled out shingles. Diagnosis?

I have a cluster of red swollen bumps on the right side of my torso under the ribcage. They are painful to the touch and itchy. I went to an urgent care clinic fearing that it was shingles even though I am a healthy 41 year old female. The doctor said it was not shingles, but cutaneous herpes. He just looked at the rash to make his decision, I have never had cold sores nor genital herpes, so I am not sure if this is the correct diagnosis. What is the difference between the 2 and is cutaneous herpes contagious?
Asked On : Wed, 10 Apr 2013