Red irritant eyes, diagnosed with Conjunctivitis and was on medication. Still issue persists. What to do?

Was diagnosed with conjunctivitis and put on Tobrex. Didn t get better, so started Maxitrol. Still had red irritated syes, so was told to use Alrex 3x a day and an antibiotic oinment once a day. In the middle of treatment, my eye doctor closed his office and I visited another opthalmologist and was told to stop all the meds (this doc did not listen to me, and contridicted everything I had been told previously). Two weeks later, my eyes are still red and irritated and I have not worn my contacts for 4-6 weeks now. I have been using rewetting dropps to relieve the irritation, but stopped that as well after reading that too much of them could actually hurt my eyes ability to create enough tears . I m at a loss as to what to do now. When should I seek yet another doc opinion? Should I wait it out and see if they clear up on their own? How long would my eyes need to recover after prolonged use of steroid drops? Any help/advice would be appreciated.
Asked On : Sun, 24 Feb 2013