Red bumps on buttocks, above butt crack, scabs, pus. Surgery required?

Hi, my boyfriend has these two red bumps on his buttocks towards the anus but moreso at the top of butcrack he has had these for about two years now and is too embarrassed to go to the doctor about it. his sister said she had the same thing and she had to get surgery to get it taken care of becuase there was actually alot of cartilage/bone buildup or something. his sores get scabby and also red and pussy and they are very painful. Right now it is scabby so he thinks it is going to go away but i dont know because that has happened before and they have come back. please help!
Asked On : Sun, 19 Aug 2012