Have tongue biting habit and noticed small bumps on it. Could it be fibroma?

I have had a small bump on my tongue for about 10-15 years. It doesn't hurt and has never changed shape or size. I also chew my tongue when nervous or concentrating (so a lot of tongue chewing every day) - which makes me think this is Fibroma. If so, what is the procedure to get this removed? How quickly can I get this diagnosed?
Posted Sun, 13 Jan 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Bibhu Dutt Nanda 2 hours later
Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX forum,

Thanks for writing to us,

I appreciate you for providing us with a picture,

I would like you to know that tongue biting habit most commonly develops as a result of stress. Continuous trauma to the tongue from biting or chewing causes chronic irritation which result in formation of a mass of connective tissue on the tongue, which is painless.
The initial treatment involves breaking the tongue biting habit by means of self check, or using habit breaking appliances which will be provided by your dentist.
Secondly, a biopsy is performed to confirm if it is fibroma,
After confirming the diagnosis, complete surgical removal of fibroma is performed using lasers,
This procedure is painless and takes about half an hour to 45 minutes, stitches are placed if required and a mild painkiller is prescribed for 3 days.
Healing takes about a few weeks to a month.
It is nothing to worry about as the whole procedure is painless.

I recommend you to see a dental specialist soon,
I hope this answer was useful,
If you have further queries kindly write back,
I wish you good health.