Recurring cold, sore throat, inflamed tonsils, ear pain. Prescribed penicillin. Throat infection or tonsillitis?

for the 2nd time this month i have a cold and a very sore throat .....tonsils are inflamed,very sore to swallow and have earache.....a very bad pressure at the bottom of my ears and in my throat too. Couldnt get an appointment with dr so was diagnosed over the phone. He said it could be viral but will give me penicillin do i know if its just a throat infection or tonsilitus??? My email is YYYY@YYYY
Asked On : Sun, 17 Mar 2013