Reconstructive eyelid surgery and cysts formation from stitches.

On Jan. 19, 2011 I had Mohs surgery on my lower right eyelid to remove a small tumor ( I thought it was a stye ). I then had ocular plastic reconstructive surgery on Jan 20, 2011 which necessitated stitching a portion of my lower lid to upper lid to create a new lower eyelid margin, as well as pulling up surrounding skin tissue to cover the Mohs open wound below the eyelid to the lower right. I was given a prescription for oral antibiotics and a pressure bandage was applied. My upper right eye lid itched and hurt and finally in accordance with instructions from the Mohs procedure we removed the bandage on Jan. 23, 2011. it was caked with dried blood and the upper portion had been applied incorrectly to where it curled up thus creating the sensation of fingernails digging into and itching on my upper eyelid.. I used Biacitracin and gauze with telfa pads and kept the area very clean. I noticed small bumps on my lower lid and on the outer right side corner. On my follow up visit on Jan. 25, 2011 I pointed out the red swelling on the outer portion of my upper lid, and small pus like bumps where the stitches are on the outer right edge. He snipped two stitches at that time. The surgeon said I did not need to wear a bandage any longer. That night my right eye felt as if it had a lump of coal rolling around in it. I went in for another emergency appointment on January 26, 2011 and the Doctor checked my cornea and put in drops. I then was told how to uses the anti biotic ointment and given eye drops. At that time I again pointed out the pimple like bumps on the outer edges of my right eye where stitches are. I asked if i needed to get a refill of the oral antibiotics to prevent infection. He responded that it did not look like an infection. I also asked about the 2 yellow stiff stitches still hanging below my lower eyelid which are dissovable ( or so they say.) I had another follow up visit on Feb 2, 2011 and the same issues were still present. However, the pimple on my right lid was becoming larger and my upper lid is still quite inflamed on the outer right side. I again asked if i needed an oral antibiotic ( i rarely use them.) I was again told no it is not necessary just continue using the ointment. The doctor did not comment or seem alarmed about the redness on my upper eyelid, or the two stiff yellow stitches still hanging down on my lower lid or the pimples on the outer edge of my right eye . Before leaving, I asked his assistant about the two visible stiff stitches hanging on my lower lid area and she told me to start using more warm compresses and ointment and said that the stitches should dissolve. I have another appointment on Feb 7, 2011 to have my eyelid opened. This involves cutting the upper and lower stitched areas apart and some cauterization and bandaging.. MY concerns are as follows: The dis solvable stitches are stuck and my lower lid and it is very sore because of them. i want them removed. Secondly, i have now developed 2 external cysts on the outer part of my right eyelid which I pointed out repeatedly to the surgeon. I am concerned because cysts usually require a surgical removal. I am puzzled as to why i was not given addition oral anti biotics and my issues were down played. In researching online i find that cysts can and do develop in some surgical sites especially if stitches are left in too long. How should I handle the conversation with the doctor? He is excellent and very skilled but not seemingly interested in my particular concerns. As a specifier and business professional, i am very detail oriented and want information rather than things being glossed over. I now have 2 cysts that were not present prior to surgery, 2 snipped dis sovable stitches that are irritating, which were put in 17 days ago and an inflamed eyelid. Is this typical ? Lastly, I have had rotator cuff surgery and debridement and neck fusion c5-6 & c 6-7 with no complications and no problems with stitches. Please advise. My apologies for the long missive. Thank you. P Kirk Colorado
Asked On : Sat, 5 Feb 2011