Raised vessel in my right ear. what this could be if anyone has experienced similar symptoms ?

Hi I have had a problem with a vein/vessel raised behind my right ear for some time now. It is very easy for other people to see and is extremely painful when i tilt my head to the side and when I try and touch my ear. I cannot put any kind of pressure on my ear when the swelling happens. I have been to the doctors countless times with it and now I just feel a bit lost for where to go next but it regularly can ruin a weekend and makes it very hard to concentrate in my job. Would appreciate greatly some insight into what this could be/ if anyone has experienced similar symptoms ? Thanks
Asked On : Mon, 7 Feb 2011