Purple bruise on hand, painful. No swelling, itching or burning. Any ideas?

My mother has developed what appears to be a purplish bruise on her hand. She cannot recall any injury or insect bite, though does remember that it was mildly painful when she first noticed it while washing her hands. Since then (2 days ago) the pain has subsided, there is no visible swelling or edema and no accompanying itch or burn. I located what appeared to be one very small puncture wound on her finger and thought it might be an ant or spider bite, however again there is no itching or discomfort at the purported bite site. However, it appears the bruise is spreading, down from the middle knuckle of her ring finger to the back of her hand and fanning out from there to involve the lower parts of the pinky and middle fingers at the top end, midway to the wrist at the bottom, and covering approximately 1/3 of the back of her hand. Any ideas what caused this and should we seek medical attention?
Asked On : Sat, 20 Apr 2013