Prescribed with cylindrical but without spherical sphere glasses wherein before used to spherical power.Any idea?

hi i recently lost my glasses and visited a hospital to recheck my eyesight.they prescribed me glasses with right eye -1.25, left eye +0.5 both cylindrical and without any spherical power. but previously i used glasses with spherical power too but not certain as to what the numbers my concern is whether there will be any problem with the new prescription and i am worried i may not get used to them as it was the case some time ago with changed prescription. the optometrist says that it has very little effect and it is better to use glasses with only cylindrical power? why is that so ? please answer
Asked On : Sun, 21 Apr 2013