Pregnant, ultrasound showed shadow in baby's heart. What might this mean?

Hello. I am almost nineteen weeks pregnant. A couple of days ago, I went for an ultrasound and they said everything looked fine except for a shadow in the baby s heart . I was told it was most likely nothing but they want me to go for another ultrasound in 8 weeks. I haven t been able to speak with anyone at my doctor s office to get any information and won t be able to until Monday. I am really worried and can t wait that long! Can you tell me what a shadow on the heart might mean and how likely it is that something is wrong with my baby s heart?
Asked On : Tue, 6 Nov 2012
Most often there is nothing significant, but, it is better to rule out cardiac anomalies associated with other causes as well, like Down's syndrome. As the size increases and changes get a better resolution, it is possible to conclude on such issues and therefore, repeat sonogram is required. The shadow could be due to calcium deposition, or it could be vague. Do not worry, as most likely nothing could be wrong and get further advice from your doctor. Wish you a safe pregnancy.