Pregnant. What is the date of delivery?

Hi Doctor My last cycle started on 25th March 2012 and by dates i am 39 + weeks pregnant as today is 31st december. Bt yesteday i had a scan and it calculated 25th january due date and 36 weeks fetus . But the scan i had before last one calculated 17th january. I am worried and confused that why due date is getting farther. And whats the problem. Thanks
Asked On : Thu, 3 Jan 2013
Mar 2016
Your LMP was 25/3/2012.So EDD is 01/01/2013 by just adding 9 months 7 days+LMP.
Currently you are carrying 39 wk+ pregnancy by date and recent USG report reveals 36 wk plus fetus maturity. It may vary to earlier report due to late scan maturity.
By date you may wait for 2 wk i.e up to 42 wk (Term Pregnancy) with weekly check up and clinical assessment. And by this time,if your labor pain does not start,then need some intervention as it is called post term pregnancy. In this case,caesarean section is best choice.
So don't be much worried.Just do regular check up and feel fetal movement properly.
Be well.
OBGYN Dr. Aarti Abraham's  Response
Mar 2013
As per your last menstrual period, you are definitely 40 weeks ( term ) now.
But please understand that the scans done in the last trimester are not reliable for estimating the date of delivery.
Thats why the 25th january date is not reliable, as it was from a scan done just yesterday.
When was the scan showing 17th january done?
Ideally, for estimating the date of delivery, gynecologists would rely on the earliest scan , most preferably in the first trimester itself
Try calculating your date from that scan please.
Also, one remote possibility is that you had delayed periods and a late conception, or you made a mistake remembering the dates.
Anyways, let your obstetrician who has been your long term caretaker decide clinically about the time of delivery.